here’s another rhubarb recipe from me, a certified rhubarb addict. blackberry and rhubarb plus almond paste is super delicious together. I definitely did not eat this for dinner all in one sitting. (i did!)
when rhubarb is combined with enough sugar and some complementary flavors like berries and almonds, in my humble opinion, it becomes the crowned winner for ‘most delicious fruit’ award. bryan and i ate this pie in about 2 sittings between the 2 of us.
recipe for a blackberry rhubarb piePrint
a lovely spring berry/rhubarb pie
- basic double pie crust
- 1 lb of rhubarb, chopped into 1 inch
- 8 oz of blackberries
- 1/2 tube of almond paste
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg, whisked and 1 packet of sugar in the raw or 1 t of demerara sugar for topping
- preheat the oven to 350F
- toss the blackberries, rhubarb and sugar in a bowl, set aside.
- bring the pie dough to a cool room temp and roll out the pie crust into your pie dish.
- take pieces of the almond paste and squish between your fingers to make a thin almond paste patty – line the bottom of pie crust with the almond paste.
- pour in the sugary fruit
- do the top crust however you want – lattice, simple, whatever; brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- bake in the oven for 1 hour