This spicy cucumber salad recipe is crunchy and cool and spicy! It comes together so quickly and uses chili oil as its primary seasoning. This spicy cucumber salad recipe is a homemade take on a typical appetizer at Western Chinese restaurants, and will be your favorite snack too! And if you don’t have a jar of chili oil, I’ve included a quick recipe for homemade chili oil here for you too.
this is my favorite snack right now – it’s cool, crunchy, warmly spicy, and umami all in one bite. there are a lot of over-complicated recipes for chinese-style spicy cucumber salad out there, but it really doesn’t need to be so complex.
how to make spicy cucumber salad
this salad is so easy. literally chop cucumbers, toss with chili oil, and season with salt. voila!
the secret ingredient is chili oil. you can get it on amazon, but will be way cheaper if you venture to your local asian supermarket and explore the sauce/spice aisle. (and way more fun.) and if you don’t have a jar of chili oil, i’ve included a quick recipe for homemade chili oil here for you too.Print
the best crunchy/salty/spicy cucumber salad
- 2 mini (also known as persian) cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon of chili oil. i like this chili oil available on amazon and at most Asian grocery stores. OR, make your own chili oil:
- 3/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/4 cup of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of Sichuan peppercorns, chopped – whole black peppercorns work too, but you won’t get the full effect
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- lightly whack the cucumbers with a rolling pin, so they split a little (but don’t hit them so hard that they’re smushed). chop into 1/2 in slices.
- add in the garlic and 1 T of chili oil, and stir to combine
- finish with a little soy sauce or coconut aminos
if you need to make the chili oil:
- in a small saucepan, combine the oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, peppercorns and garlic. let it come to a simmer on low heat, and cook until the red pepper flakes darken – about 10 – 15 minutes.
- remove from the heat and add a few pinches of salt and let it cool. store in a jar — it will last forever.
Can be scaled up as needed
Keywords: spicy cucumber salad, chopped spicy cucumber salad, cucumbers with chili oil
pin for later!
Note: this recipe was updated in January 2019 with new pictures and nutrition facts