If you’re trying to figure out how to cook an artichoke, make these tender and smoky grilled artichokes served with a lemon-cumin aioli. These grilled artichokes, especially, offer a smoky and tender summer appetizer.
I grew up eating artichokes, and thought they were fairly commonplace, but have had to teach a few people how to eat one — which has to lead me to believe not enough people have heard the good news regarding a steamed or grilled artichoke.
how to make artichokes
first, bring a large pot of water to boil.
while the water is boiling, snip off the pointy end of each artichoke leaf.
poach the artichokes for about 30 minutes.
cut in half, and drizzle olive oil + salt on the sides.
grill quickly in a grill pan or on a grill outside.
Dip into a lemony, cumin-y aioli and enjoy on a summer’s night!
recipe for grilled artichokesPrint
tender and smoky grilled halved artichokes.
- 4 artichokes, spiny tips clipped off
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of dijon
- prepare a pot with a steamer insert and pour in 1/2 cup of water. steam the artichokes for about half an hour, until a leave tugs off easily.
- once ready, cut each in half and remove the hairy part of the artichoke heart.
- on a grill pan or grill outside, grill flat side down for about 5 minutes, until light grill marks are shown.
- combine all the aioli ingredients together and serve with the artichokes!
- to eat, use your teeth to pull the tender part off of the bottom third of each artichoke leaf, dipping into the aioli as you please.
Keywords: how to cook artichoke, grilled artichokes, what to do with an artichoke