Here’s a recipe for a paleo cream of asparagus soup. It’s spring in a soup form — blending together asparagus, peas, mint, and onion and topping it with a bit of coconut cream creates a light and lovely spring soup that is dairy free. If you’re looking to take advantage of spring produce, make this soup!
I think peas are a divisive vegetable, but in early spring, they are such a joy. My impression is that people got
I have been trying to get my mojo back with recipe dev + tasting, and to get my inspiration flowing have been studying up on my favorite seasonal cooking cookbooks. The first recipe in the “early season” section of Homegrown Paleo – a stinging nettle soup with lemon chive creme fraiche – inspired this soup. Since I didn’t have any stinging nettles handy, I went with asparagus. And, since I didn’t have any potatoes, I used frozen peas to lend some structure/starch to the soup. So, at the end of the
how to make paleo cream of asparagus soup
This is so simple! You’re going to sweat some onions in a bit of olive oil. Then add in peas and asparagus, and stir to combine.
Add in chicken broth and the zest + juice of a lemon and let it simmer for a few minutes to soften.
Then, transfer to a high speed blender like a Vitamix. Combine with a bit of coconut cream and a few tablespoons of collagen peptides for extra protein, and serve!Print
- 1–2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of peas (frozen ok!)
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- a few mint sprigs
- 3 tablespoons of coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons of collagen peptides
- to garnish: mint sprigs, more coconut cream
- high speed blender, like a vitamix
- In a medium saucepan, heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil until it shimmers. Add in chopped onion and sweat the onions.
- Add in the peas and chopped asparagus – give it a few stirs.
- Add in chicken broth and zest/juice of 1 lemon.
- Bring to a boil and then bring it down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a Vitamix and blend a few seconds to break down ingredients. Add in coconut cream and collagen peptides; blend until fully smooth.
- Serve w/ addition coconut cream and some soft herbs.
Keywords: Soup, spring seasonal food, asparagus, peas, paleo soup