A light, refreshing soup that’s also hearty and filling, this lemon-leek avgolemono soup will be your new favorite soup this winter.
- 1/2 a yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 2 pounds of leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced thinly
- 1 16-oz can of cannellini beans
- 8 cups of chicken broth (or 2 tablespoons of Better Than Bouillon mixed with 8 cups of water)
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- Sautee half an onion and 1 lb of sliced leeks in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, just until they are sweating.
- Add in broth and beans. Pour in 8 cups of chicken broth. I keep Better Than Bouillon Low Sodium chicken bouillon on hand for emergency soup needs – not even sponcon, i love it and use it religiously. Next, add in 1 can (16 oz) of drained & rinsed cannellini beans, or any type of white bean you like. Bring it all to a boil and then reduce down to low heat.
- Prepare the egg-lemon mixture. In a large (2 cup minimum) measuring cup, squeeze 1/2 cup of lemon juice and crack 4 eggs. Whisk to combine the lemon juice and eggs.
- Temper the egg yolks — ensure the soup is not boiling, then add in 2 cups of soup to the eggs/lemon and whisk continually to combine. Then add the 2 cups of egg/lemon/soup back into the whole pot and whisk to combine thoroughly.
Use any bean you want, or even use chicken!
Keywords: avgolemono soup recipe, lemon-leek soup, lemon egg soup