This bitter greens salad is inspired by Toro Bravo in Portland, OR. With radicchio, bacon, parmesan and a balsamic vinaigrette, it’s simple and easy!
the inspo behind this radicchio salad
i love bitter things and i love radicchio, but even i can be like, ok this is too bitter. to make a lettuce with bitter greens taste good, you have to balance out the flavors with more mild and more sweet notes.
adding in bacon adds a salty, fatty, sweet flavor to the salad. and the parmesan helps mellow it all out. mix in some sweeter lettuces, too, so you’re not all bitter lettuce all the time.
last, an easy balsamic vinaigrette brings it all together.
how to make a radicchio salad
just chop and toss and serve!!Print
It’s also really good with manchego + egg!
- One head of radicchio, sliced into 1” slices
- One head of little gems lettuce, torn into leaves
- Two slices of bacon, cooked crisp
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- One tsp of Dijon mustard
- Cook the bacon until crisp and set aside on a paper towel to cool.
- In a jar, combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Shake and let it sit while you prepare the salad.
- Combine the lettuce, radicchio, bacon, and parmesan with the vinaigrette. Toss and serve.
Keywords: radicchio salad, bitter greens salad, toro bravo salad, salad from that restaurant in portland