this is a roasted chicken recipe scaled down for two, with only 3 ingredients – chicken legs, buttermilk, and salt. while buttermilk is normally associated with fried chicken, here it is a tenderizing, marinating force for dark meat chicken. this buttermilk roast chicken for two is an easy, healthy weeknight dinner.
the inspiration behind this buttermilk roasted chicken for two
watching netflix’s salt fat acid heat, i loved the episode where samin nosrat does two full roasted chickens that were very simply marinated in just buttermilk.
she shows how the oven temperature can be inconsistent from the front to the back, and how in order to roast a chicken properly, you need to let it come to room temperature so the internal temperature cooks at the same rate as the skin.
how to make roasted chicken for two
to make roast chicken for two, take advantage of chicken legs! quartered chicken legs are super affordable, and you typically get 2 legs in a packet. this is a great serving size for two hungry people!
all you have to do is marinate these chicken legs in buttermilk and salt in the fridge. the longer you marinate, the more flavorful it will be – 12 hours is ideal.
about an hour and a half before you want to eat, remove the chicken from the fridge and let the chicken come to room temperature. preheat the oven to 425F, and roast the chicken legs for about 30 minutes – until the skin is golden brown.
recipe for roasted chicken for twoPrint
- two chicken legs or two drumsticks and two thighs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- mix together all ingredients in a ziplock bag or a bowl, and let it marinate for at least 12 hours
- 1 hour before cooking — an hour and a half before you want to eat — remove from the fridge and let it come to room temperature — this is important!! preheat an oven to 425F.
- place on a sheet pan and roast for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown delicious.
- finish if you want with some parsley and lemon, or enjoy as is!
Keywords: roasted chicken, buttermilk roast chicken, roast chicken for two, roasted chicken buttermilk for two