This fennel and blood orange salad is paleo and vegan, capitalizing on winter citrus season. It comes together so quickly and is naturally sweetened, super refreshing, and perfect for both when the citrus bounty is high in January, or whenever your cravings strike for something refreshing and light. This fennel and blood orange salad is something you probably would see at a New American restaurant for $18 — but you can make this at home for less then $5!
we are not done with winter citrus yet!! this is savory/sweet/crunchy/salty/acidic delight is good for breakfast, a light lunch, or a side. shaving the fennel thin and then topping with bright sherry vinegar cuts down on the black licorice notes.
this adapted from the goddess deb perelman/smitten kitchenPrint
quick winter salad for 1 as a main or 2 as a side
- 1 medium-large fennel bulb, leaves and stems trimmed off
- 2–3 oranges – i used blood & cara cara
- 1 small shallot, peeled and cut into paper-thin slices
- 10 mint leaves
- palmful of pistachios
- sherry vinegar
- good extra-virgin olive oil
- flaky salt
- trim the fennel – remove the fronds, cut off the bottom, and peel the outer leeves. shave the fennel on a mandoline.
- supreme the oranges
- toss with mint leaves, shallot, and nuts
- finish with evoo, vinegar, salt and pepper.