These breakfast sandwiches are fancy! A copycat of the “Fairfax” sandwich from Eggslut here in LA, this breakfast sandwich has a fluffy brioche bun, soft-scrambled eggs, fresh herbs, melty cheddar cheese, and homemade caramelized onions. You can make them individually or make a party-size platter of them anytime you want to serve an impressive dessert.
- Caramelized onions
- 2 softball-sized yellow onions
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter
- Breakfast sandwiches
- 1 brioche bun (or 2 Hawaiian square rolls) per person
- 2 eggs per person
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese per person
- 1 tb of butter per person
- 1 tb of chopped chives
- 1 tb of chopped dill
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- Either the day before or 1.5 hours before you want to eat, make the caramelized onions. Combine 2 onions and 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter in a pot and set on medium heat. Let it cook for at least 1 hour until you’re starting to see some dark brown bits and it’s really gaining a depth of flavor and color.
- Prepare your cheesy buns. Place a slice of cheddar cheese on top of each brioche bun and toast in a toaster-oven for 5 minutes, until melted.
- Prepare the herbs mixture. Chop finely 1 tablespoons of dill and 1 tablespoons of chives, and in a small bowl, mix with a splash of vinegar and pinch of flaky salt.
- Scramble your eggs. In a skillet, scramble 2 eggs per person with 1 tablespoon of butter per person, only until it is JUST set.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Place the soft-scrambled eggs on top of the melty cheese. Spoon the caramelized onions on top of the eggs, and 1-2 tablespoons of herbs on top of the onions. Top with the other slice of bread and serve.
Scale up as needed!
Keywords: eggslut copycat sandwich, eggslut breakfast sandwich, fancy breakfast sandwich