Recipe for coconut flan with a coffee caramel
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 14 oz can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 packet / 1 tablespoon of gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Make the coffee caramel. Mix coffee granules with water and let it dissolve. Mix coffee-water with sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then down to a simmer, for about 8 minutes, until it smells toasty and caramelized. Pour into the bottom of a 9″ glass pie dish, and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Make the coconut flan custard. In a blender, blend coconut milk, condensed milk, egg and gelatin on high, unti very smooth. Pour through fine mesh sieve into the pie dish.
- Bake. Put the flan into the oven on top of a baking pan, and pour water into the pan about halfway up the sides of the pie dish. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Chill and serve. Very carefully, remove the flan from the oven. Discard the water. Place the flan in the fridge for at least 3 hours to chill. Flip onto a plate when ready to eat, and serve. YUM!
Keywords: flan, coconut milk flan, coconut milk flan with coffee caramel, coffee flan, caramel coffee flan