An easy way to upgrade boxed cake mix into an elegant naked cake with flowers and the perfect amount of frosting!
- 1 box of white or vanilla boxed cake mix, mixed to instructions
- 16 oz powdered sugar (see here how to make powdered sugar at home)
- 2 sticks of butter – very soft
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the cake batter as the box prescribes, and divide among three 6″ cake pans, buttered+floured or prepared with Wilton cake nonstick spray. Bake for 26 minutes (a minute or two less than the box says). Let cool almost completely in their pans.
- When cool, level off the top. Wrap each layer in plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- The next day, when ready to frost/decorate, prepare frosting. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip 2 sticks of very soft butter with 16 oz of powdered sugar and salt + vanilla, until fluffy.
- Frost the cake with just a crumb coat.
- Decorate with flowers! Enjoy!
Keywords: Layer cake, naked cake, semi homemade, boxed cake mix, vanilla cake, flower cake