So, the next few recipes are all going to be vaguely Mexican inspired – sorry that’s just how it is after my trip last week. And because it’s hot as hell here in Brooklyn, popsicles are bae right now. Paletas are popsicles — sold by street vendors as well as heladerias all over any Latin American city. Or LA. or Miami. Here’s a recipe for horchata popsicles that take a dirty chai twist — hope you love these dirty chai horchata popsicles and they keep you cool!
In brainstorming this recipe, I was thinking about how much I love horchata, and because I got some loose chai spices from Abarrotes Delirio, I came up with this idea for a dirty chai horchata popsicle. And obviously, because popsicles are more fun when boozy, adding a tablespoon of Kahlua adds a coffee note as well as a boozy note that make these more fun.
Because it’s nearly summer, you should definitely get yourself some popsicle molds, so you can make these as well as any other popsicle ideas that you come up with this summer. Let me know how you like these dirty chai horchata popsicles!Print
horchata (orxata) inspired paletas, perfect for a hot summer day!
- 2 1/2 cups almond or rice milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon loose/whole chai spices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 anise pod
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the almond or rice milk, cream, sugar, and spices. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat. Let cool for at least 30 minutes on the counter.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove the spices, and then stir in the Kahlua.
- Pour into popsicle molds.
- It might take up to 24 hours for this to freeze because of the Kahlua, and then know that they’ll be a little icier/melt faster.
- Serving Size: 1 popsicle
- Calories: 44
- Sugar: 9.2g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 10.4g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 5.5mg
Keywords: Popsicle, paleta, horchata, horchata popsicle